The PSR Certificate of Sexuality and Religion (CSR) is now available via Online and Distance Learning!
Expand your ability to lead within LGBTQ organizations and communities with a graduate level Certificate of Sexuality and Religion (CSR) from Pacific School of Religion, the interdenominational seminary that sponsors The Center for LGBTQ and Gender Studies in Religion (CLGS).
The CSR is designed as a 1-year course of study for professionals and graduate-level students; it can be earned 100% remotely.
Graduates of the program can expect to advance their vocations as religious leaders and educators; as non-profit leaders and social change activists; as writers and as journalists; and as spiritually-rooted individuals at work in the world.
The goal of the program is to help students hone and demonstrate the following skills as leaders in a variety of fields:
- Apply lessons from the LGBTQ Community to other human rights movements
- Think theologically about gender and sexuality in a contemporary context while gaining skills to apply ethical, pastoral, transformational and practical dimensions to an inclusive framework of thought and practice
- Understand the complex history of faith traditions in regard to sexuality and gender identity
- Teach about contemporary sexual practices through scientific, psychological and religious lenses
- Consider the historical and theological development of ethical systems used to evaluate and regulate moral judgments
- Gain authority and expertise in leading discussions on religion and sexuality within faith traditions and within society more broadly
The CSR may be taken on its own or in combination with other academic programs at PSR. CSR courses may also be taken on a course-by-course basis. More information on the CSR and how to apply can be found on the PSR website at: www.psr.edu/academics/certificates-degrees/csr/
For Information On Scholarships & Financial Aid Opportunities for LGBTQ Students:
Visit www.psr.edu/academics/financial-aid/ and click on the “Scholarships” tab.
To apply for admission to the Certificate of Sexuality and Religion simply click here.
And for more information please email Keaton Andreas, PSR’s Director of Admissions, at email@example.com or call them at: 510-849-8231.
The Certificate of Sexuality and Religion (CSR) is an academic course of study offered by Pacific School of Religion. CLGS contributed to the design and development of this program and continues to work closely with PSR in recruiting faculty, shaping the curriculum, and advising students working toward the Certificate.
Today, more than ever, bold religious leadership is needed to meet the challenges around sexuality and gender in faith communities and civic society. CSR courses are designed to equip both lay and ordained religious leaders as well those in other professions to meet those challenges. Introductory “core” courses in the program address the history of sexuality in religious traditions, interpretation of sacred texts, theological and ethical approaches to sexuality and gender, and the latest research in human sexuality. Elective courses provide students with an opportunity to enhance their skills and education in specialized areas of concern, whether in pastoral care, religious activism, or congregational leadership.
The CSR helps participants to:
- Think theologically about contemporary sexual practices and identities.
- Understand the history of faith traditions concerning sexuality and gender identity.
- Speak knowledgeably about contemporary sexual practices and the scientific and psychological information relevant to them.
- Consider the historical and theological development of ethical systems used to evaluate and regulate moral judgments concerning various sexual practices and identities within faith traditions.
- Gain authority and expertise in leading discussions on issues of religion and sexuality both within faith traditions and within society more broadly.