Readings on Ethics, Bible, and Sexuality
From CEBS 3415 - Ethics, Bible, and Sexuality
Taught by Michael Mendiola and Mary Tolbert
PSR, Fall 2000
(Note: Links on book titles go to an Amazon.com page - if you purchase a book through this link, a portion of your sale goes to support CLGS.
Thomas Laquer. Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud.
Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1990.
Annamarie Jagose. Queer Theory: An Introduction.
Washington Square, NY: New York University Press, 1996.
Martin Nissinen. Homoeroticism in the Biblical World.
Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1998.
Choon-Leong Seow, ed. Homosexuality and Christian Community.
Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 1996.
Jeffrey Siker, ed. Homosexuality in the Church: Both Sides of the Debate.
Louisville:Westminster John Knox Press, 1994.
L. R. Holben. What Christians Think About Homosexuality: Six Representative Viewpoints.
North Redland Hills, TX: Bibal Press, 1999.
(1) Gayle S. Rubin. "Thinking Sex: Note for a Radical Theory of the Politics of Sexuality." In Henry Abelove et al., eds., The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader. New York: Routledge, 1993, 3-44.
(2) John D'Emilio, "Capitalism and Gay Identity." In Abelove et al., eds. 467-476.
(3) Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick. "Epistemology of the Closet." In Abelove et al., eds. 45-6l.
(4) Judith Butler. "Imitation and Gender Subordination." In Abelove et al., eds. 307-320.
(5) Bernadette J. Brooten. Selections from Love Between Women: Early Christian Responses to Female Homoeroticism. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1996.29-71.
(6) Walter Wink. "Homosexuality and the Bible." In Walter Wink, ed. Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1999, 33-49.
(7) Dale B. Martin. "Heterosexism and the Interpretation of Romans 1: 18-32." Biblical Interpretation: A Journal of Contemporary Approaches. 3: 3 (October 1995): 332-355.
(8) Dale B. Martin. "Arsenokoites and Malakos: Meanings and Consequences." In Robert L. Brawley, ed. Biblical Ethics and Homosexuality: Listening to Scripture. Louiseville: Westminster John Knox Press, 1996. 117-136. — Read this article now - published here on the CLGS website.
(9) Sarah J. Melcher. "The Holiness Code and Human Sexuality." In Brawley, ed. 87-102.
(10) James M. Gustafson. "Ways of Using Scripture." In Wayne G. Boulton et al., eds. From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B Eerdmans Publishing, 21-26.
(11) Bruce C. Birch and Larry L. Rasmussen. "The Nature and Role of Biblical Authority." In Birch, Rasmussen, eds. Bible and Ethics in the Christian Life, revised and expanded. Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1989. 141-158.
(12) Mary Ann Tolbert. "A New Teaching with Authority: A Re-evaluation of the Authority of the Bible." In Fernando F. Segovia and Mary Ann Tolbert, eds. Teaching the Bible: The Discourse and Politics of Biblical Pedagogy. New York: Orbis books, 1998. 168-189.
(13) Beverly W. Harrison. "Misogyny and Homophobia: The Unexplored Connections." In Boulton et al. ,ed. 331-341.
(14) Max L. Stackhouse. "The Prophetic Stand of the Ecumenical Churches on Homosexuality." In Saul M. Olyan and Martha C. Nussbaum, eds. Sexual Orientation and Human Rights in American Religious Discourse. New York: Oxford University press, 1998.119-133.
(15) Eugene F. Rogers, Jr. "Sanctification, Homosexuality and God's Triune Life." In 0lyan and Nussbaum, eds. 134-160.
(16) Kathryn Tanner. "Response to Max Stackhouse and Eugene Rogers." In Olyan and Nussbaum, eds. 161-168.